Things To Remember After Orthodontic Treatment
Congratulations! You've taken the first step towards having healthy, well-aligned teeth by getting orthodontic treatment. You're undoubtedly looking forward to having a perfect set of teeth and a smile you can always be proud of. However, you should know that this is not the end of your treatment journey.
Orthodontic treatment is a long-term commitment that takes work. Your orthodontic treatment's aftercare is just as vital as the treatment itself. Even after your braces are removed and you can run your tongue over your straightened set of teeth, it is essential to stick to instructions until the end of your treatment. The last thing you want to see after a few months is your teeth sliding back to their previous positions. So, what are you supposed to do after your orthodontic treatment? How do you keep your teeth aligned after the treatment?
What To Do After Your Orthodontic Treatment
There is one phase that might feel like a new journey after your orthodontic treatment; just as you can remember events in your life, your teeth have a memory as well and can relapse or shift back to where they were before Invisalign. Retention is a procedure that happens after you take out your aligners. It involves the use of retainers (an orthodontic device that maintains the alignment of your teeth for a long period of time) to keep your teeth in place. After your braces or Invisalign trays have been removed, you will be given retainers. Retainers come in three varieties:
- Hawley retainers
- Clear plastic retainers
- Fixed bonded retainers
Our orthodontists at OMG Smiles will recommend the best retainer for you. The retainer is customized to fit your mouth perfectly and is designed to be as comfortable as possible. It is recommended that you wear your retainers for as long as recommended. Retainers are not painful or uncomfortable to wear. In some cases, your retainers will only temporarily disrupt your speech and increase saliva in your mouth. But once you get used to wearing retainers, you'll almost forget you have them on.
How To Maintain Retainers After Orthodontic Treatment
Take care of your retainers just as you would your eyeglasses. Your retainers should be kept germ-free and clean at all times. Use a gentle bristle brush and a few drops of light liquid soap to clean it and keep it fresh. If you get a fixed retainer, you should brush and floss it regularly to keep it clean. If you need to remove your retainers to eat or brush your teeth, they should be kept in their case at all times. Don't soak your retainers in hot water because exposing them to too much heat can cause damage. With proper care, your retainers should last for one to two years on average.
Since patients usually need more than one set of retainers as part of their orthodontic aftercare, OMG Smiles provides a warranty to cover this. Patients get up to 30 clear retainers as part of the OMG Smiles warranty plan. The retainers come at no extra cost if you lose or break your retainers (up to six per year).
What To Expect After Your Orthodontic Treatment
You may experience slight discomfort following the placement or removal of your Invisalign or braces; this is normal while your teeth adjust to their new position. The discomfort you get post-orthodontic treatment should be minimal. But if it becomes unbearable, consult your orthodontist. Here are things to expect so you don't have to panic after your orthodontic treatment.
- Extra sensitivity: After receiving orthodontic treatment, you can experience mild to moderate teeth sensitivity. After a while, the sensitivity will subside, and your teeth and gums will feel normal again. They may also feel sticky or even swollen initially. But this should subside with time as well.
- Discoloration: It's possible that your teeth will become discolored when your braces or clear aligners are taken off. Although a thorough dental cleaning is necessary, it is advised to postpone any whitening operations while your teeth are still sensitive.
- Diet change: Your ability to eat certain meals may be limited by the sensitivity you experience after undergoing orthodontic treatment. For instance, you can experience some discomfort if your meals are difficult to chew. This might mean adjusting your diet until the sensitivity and pain subside. Soft meals like oats, mashed potatoes, and pasta are recommended until you can start chewing normally again.
- Oral routine change: A change in your oral routine is expected after your treatment. You should pay extra attention to your teeth and ensure they are properly cleaned. Brushing and flossing after every meal and brushing twice daily are advised after your orthodontic treatment to maintain oral health and prevent infection.
Additional Tips to Remember After Your Orthodontic Treatment
Everyone's experience during and after their orthodontic treatment will be different. So don't expect to feel the way another person feels. After your orthodontic treatment, your orthodontist at OMG Smiles will give you certain instructions on personal oral care and the frequency of your checkups. These tips will help you maintain the alignment of your teeth and give you the confidence needed to smile and speak. Here are some extra tips to remember after your orthodontic retirement:
- Toothpaste is not recommended for cleaning retainers as it is abrasive and scratches soft plastic.
- Rinse your retainers often with warm, salty water.
- Don't miss your dentist or orthodontist visit.
- Avoid sugary drinks and beverages that can discolor your teeth or cause sensitivity.
- Speak with your dentist and choose a toothpaste suitable for your teeth.
- Quit habits that can affect your dental and general health.
Getting orthodontic treatment is a big investment. It is essential to keep in mind that the longevity of your newly straightened teeth depends on how well you maintain them following your orthodontic treatment. After your orthodontic treatment, you must wear your retainers as recommended by your orthodontist and follow other instructions as well. Your effort and patience will go a long way toward sustaining the result of your treatment and maintaining your stunning, healthy smile for many years to come.
At OMG Smiles, our orthodontists take pride in helping you through your post-orthodontic treatment. Schedule a visit if you have any questions or concerns – we’d love to hear from you!
Please login to publish a comment.